Rating (out of 5): 3.5 stars
You want more Raphael? Nalini Singh delivers plenty of our unapologetic alpha hero in Archangel’s Consort. Readers will love seeing him adjust to being a bonded pair with Guild Hunter-turned-newly-made angel Elena.
The Archangel of New York isn’t used to having his orders questioned, but Elena isn’t one of his Seven. As his consort, she fights to remind him that she’s still a Hunter and won’t live in a cage. He seeks to protect her, what’s his, sending Dmitri, Venom and Illium to watch over her whenever she’s away. A huge component of Archangel’s Consort is defining their new relationship, learning more about one another and both working to be fully open and trusting of one another.
Singh digs deeper into the pasts of our hero and heroine, which leads us to Elena meeting the ultimate in scary mothers-in-law. (Really, it’ll make you feel much better.) Raphael’s mother is the “big bad” for this third Guild Hunter novel. There is talk of Caliane awakening from a century of sleep. Unfortunately, the archangel went mad prior, she’s ancient and before she began to slumber she nearly killed Raphael. To say he is conflicted is a massive understatement. Add in Elena’s guilt about her mother’s death, and you have a strong emotional core in Archangel’s Consort.
The drawback here is the opening of the novel drags. While Singh peppers in sexy scenes early on, the plot is slow-moving until more than 100 pages in. She’s setting the stage for more character development, but if you didn’t already love Elena and Raphael, you might not push through. The latter portion is worth it, but this novel definitely took longer to read than it should have in my hands.
Overall, though, we get just what we want: a heavy focus on Raphael and Elena with greater insight into both characters and in-air sexytime. (We know you wanted to know that one.)
CONTEST DETAILS AND RULES
1. Fill out this entry form.
2. This contest is only open to residents of the U.S. and Canada.
3. Contest is closes at 11:59 p.m. CST on Tuesday, Dec. 28.
4. Winners will be selected using Random.org and announced on Dec. 30. Then they will be contacted via email and given 48 hours to claim their prizes. If we do not hear from the winner(s) within that time, new winner(s) will be selected.
7. Though unlikely, Vampire Book Club has the right to change or cancel any giveaway at any time without prior notice.
8. A big thank you to Berkley/Penguin for providing the book for this giveaway.