What kind of book club doesn’t have group reads? A lame one. We sure try to avoid being lame, so we’ll be doing a monthly group read.
How it works:
- Each month we’ll pick a new (hopefully awesome) speculative fiction book for everyone to read.
- We will post periodic updates related to the book each week to keep you thinking and reading(including a spoiler-free review within the week).
- We’ll plan an online book club meeting for the last week of each month to dish on the novel. Of course, we don’t expect anyone to wait a full month to discuss the book. So…
- Use the book’s group read post to discuss plot points, themes, characters you love, characters you love to hate, etc. in the comments. We just ask you add “SPOILER” at the beginning of your comment, if it gives big stuff away.
With the rules out of the way, let’s move on to July’s group read: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. This young adult urban fantasy novel, the first in the Iron Fey series, is dark, engaging, clever and recommended by just about everyone we know.
The Iron King (Iron Fey #1)
February 2010 (Harlequin Teen)
Add it to your TBR shelf on GoodReads
Order The Iron King from eHarlequin (use code FIVE64HG to save 5%)
Order The Iron King from Amazon
Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined–the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart. The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series.
So, who’s in? Have you already read The Iron King? Fill us in via the comments.
Some may be asking why the first Vampire Book Club group read isn’t a vampire novel. It’s a fair question. Here are the four reasons we went all fae with this month’s group read:
- 90 pages into The Iron King and we are already in love and have great confidence there will be fertile grounds for discussion.
- Despite the name, this blog isn’t just about the blood-favoring, mysterious-types. No, we love urban fantasy, paranormal romance and most speculative fiction here. Bring on the weres, the fae, the angels, the demons. We’re game.
- It’ll get you, me and everyone else ready and excited for the sequel The Iron Daughter release in August. (Full review scheduled, as Harlequin was kind enough to give us ARCs of both Iron Fey books.)
- It’s fae week at Vampire Book Club!
Ed. note: The links to purchase books on this page generate a tiny bit of revenue for Vampire Book Club. We’ll always make it clear if links are revenue-related. So, if you’re going to purchase anyway, know we’ll use that revenue to put together giveaways, etc. Thanks.