Last night the entertaining Heather Brewer stopped in at my local Borders store for a book signing. This last Tuesday the final book in her Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series, Twelfth Grade Kills, was released. Her teen series does great things by merging, as she put it, the things she knows (how it feels to be bullied and vampires).
It was great to see her behind that podium. Coming from a small town (her hometown was just shy of 900 people, mine 13,000 — she wins) can be hard when you aren’t the cheerleader or you like books/music/etc. over sports. She’s given teens confidence and a way out, and she is just as inspiring to them in person. Really awesome to see.
Also, she’s super funny in person.
Next fall will start her new series The Slayer Chronicles that will follow a character from the book Ninth Grade Slays during each summer between the Vlad novels. The final book of that series will take place after Twelfth Grade Kills. So, to those wondering why there isn’t more, she says: “There is!”
Unrelated: I also happened to run into Morganville Vampires author (and awesome lady) Rachel Caine at the bookstore later. Very friendly woman, with good suggestions on books (she assured me the Anya Bast title I was picking up was a good call). She’s excited about Ghost Town coming out, and we’ll be meeting up with her for a book signing once its out.
Back to Heather Brewer and her awesomeness. In addition to the copy of Twelfth Grade Kills we brought along, she also signed one of our new Vampire Book Club bookmarks. What does this mean for you?
We have a hot-off-the-presses signed copy of Twelfth Grade Kills by Heather Brewer and a signed Vampire Book Club bookmark for one lucky reader.
Leave a comment on this post with why you love the Vlad Tod series or your favorite thing(s) about “Auntie Heather.” (You will get a bonus entry if you follow us, but it’s not required.)
CONTEST RULES & DETAILS
1. You must comment on this post with a real comment answering the question above. (“Thanks for the contest” will not cut it.)
2. You will get +1 additional entry in this contest if you’re a follower — be it via Google Friend Connect (the “Join this Site” button), RSS or email. It’s not required, but we like giving our readers a leg-up.
3. This contest is open to residents of the U.S. and Canada only.
4. You must enter no later than 11:59 p.m. EST on Sunday, Oct. 3. This contest is now closed.
5. Winner will be contacted via email. She or he then has 48 hours to respond and claim his or her prize, or we will select another winner.
7. Vampire Book Club has the right to change or cancel any giveaway at any time without prior notice.
Alright, minion horde, take to the comments!