(The giveaway is now closed. Congrats to Cathie who won a signed copy of Paranormalcy. Also, this book is our November group read. Keep an eye out for details of the book chat.)
Rating (out of 5): 4 stars
With witty writing, Paranormalcy is a fun YA read. Evie has worked for the International Paranormal Containment Agency (IPCA) for as long as she can remember. Unlike everyone else, she can see though all glamours. Hot hot vampires for her — she just sees the dead body underneath. Her life consists of bagging and tagging various paranormal creatures — vampires, werewolves, hags. Once they’re tagged, they get assigned jobs at IPCA.
She’s never questioned her role. (Though, she’s always felt the agency was too lenient with faeries. Her ex is one, and he just won’t leave her alone. Stupid faeries.) It can be kind of lonely being the only teenager, who has to experience typical teen life vicariously through a TV show.
So when an unknown paranormal is detained, she can’t help by try to learn more. Lend can shift his shape into anyone’s appearance. Once he and Evie manage to get on the same level — and he quits making his glamour look like her — the two bond. She finally has a shot at having a friend, even a boyfriend.
Except paranormals are being killed. IPCA can’t figure it out, and they are convinvced Lend has answers. Though the story Evie discovers her real role at the agency, runs for her life, saves others, learns the reason she can see though all glamours and falls in love.
Evie is wonderfully relatable. It’s hard not to love the way she adopts using “bleep” instead of curse words, her love of her pink taser and all things girly. We want her to be happy. We want her to find love. We really like it when she kisses Lend.
Paranormalcy deals with some heavy circumstances with a light tone. Kiersten White knows how to diffuse tension with a good laugh. She also managed to create a hottie who is practically an invisible boy in his natural form.
The story takes a bit to really ignite, but with such endearing characters you’ll be hooked quickly. We’re looking forward to seeing where Evie and Lend’s story will go. Paranormalcy is the first in a series. We’ll be sure to let everyone know when the next book is on the horizon.
We recently had the pleasure of meeting Kiersten White. (She’s super adorable and nice.) She was kind enough to sign a copy of Paranormalcy for one lucky Vampire Book Club reader.
In the novel, Evie’s best friend is a mermaid. It’s cooler and more functional than you’d expect. To enter for a signed copy of Paranormalcy, leave a comment answering the question: If you could have any paranormal creature as a best friend, what would it be?
Extra entries: +1 for being a blog follower (GFC, RSS or email), +1 for following @VampBookClub on Twitter and +2 for sharing a link to this contest on Twitter, Facebook or your blog (please provide the link).
CONTEST RULES & DETAILS
1. You must comment on this post with a real comment answering the question above. (“Thanks for the contest” will not cut it.)
2. You will get +1 additional entry in this contest if you’re a follower — be it via Google Friend Connect (the “Join this Site” button), RSS or email. It’s not required, but we like giving our readers a leg-up. You can also get bonus entries by following @VampBookClub on Twitter (+1 entry) and by sharing a link to this contest on Twitter, Facebook or your blog (+2 entries, please provide the link).
3. This contest is open to residents of the U.S. and Canada only.
4. You must enter no later than 11:59 p.m. EST on Sunday, Dec. 5.
5. Winner will be contacted via email. She or he then has 48 hours to respond and claim his or her prize, or we will select another winner.
7. Though unlikely, Vampire Book Club has the right to change or cancel any giveaway at any time without prior notice.